Lexie was admitted today for her catherization surgery. She was in good spirits when we went to the hospital. The staff was wonderful with her and made sure we knew exactly what was going on and what we could do to make this as painless as possible for Lexie. Because she was the youngest patient, she was first in line for the procedure.

When it was time, Eric carried Lexie into the operating room. He placed her on the table and they put a mask on her so she could breathe the watermelon flavored gas. That was the hardest part because Lexie was crying and we did our best to comfort her and let her know we loved her. Then within 30 seconds, she was still and asleep. It was so hard to leave her there. She looked so tiny and helpless.

The procedure was done within an hour. There was a possibility that besides closing up the hole, they were also going to insert a balloon into one of the valves because there is an opening there as well. They found that it was too small and the balloon might do more damage, than good. We're crossing our fingers that we won't have to put Lexie through this again. She looked so fragile as we waited for her to wake up.

When Lexie woke up, she was very confused and did not like all of the things that were attached to her body and legs. I sat with her on the bed for a little while to calm her down and then Eric carried her. She was very thirsty and wanted orange juice. Then she asked for her kimi balls and munched on that and watched tv.

The nurse brought Lexie french fries and pizza. She was very hungry and ate half of the fries and a slice of pizza. She complained about the IV in her leg, but the incision on her thigh didn't really bother her. They took off the wires from her chest so she could move more freely.

The nurse gave Lexie this cute tiger that has a big red heart. She held on to him very tightly. After her lunch, Lexie fell asleep with her tiger in her arms.

Lexie was definitely feeling better when she started to make silly faces. We finally left the hospital at 2:00pm. Lexie wanted more fries, so we got her some plus an apple pie and she ate all of that. Then at dinner, she ate everything we gave her. I guess that's a good sign that she wants to eat.
I thought the surgery was going to be stressful, but being at home is making me insane. Our directions were no vigorous activity for 2-3 weeks. Lexie's existence is vigorous. She doesn't stop moving. We removed the chairs in our kitchen so she can't climb. I even had to bribe her with M&M's to sit and watch tv. Then she tried to get more M&M's by just sitting for a few seconds and I told her she had to watch an entire show before she got more candy. She opted to jump on the couch instead.
Lexie went to sleep as soon as we put her to bed, which means now I can go to sleep as well. Thank you so much for keeping Lexie in all of your prayers. It was comforting to know that everyone was thinking about her.





Wow, I'm just catching up. I'm so glad everything went well! I can't believe it was outpatient.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad she had a fun Easter celebration beforehand!
My thoughts are with you as you try to keep her inactive during recovery!
oh sweet lexie girl....you are going to give your mama gray hair!!!
ReplyDeleteI knew she would be a rockstar!!! I can't even imagine having to leave her in the operating room....but knowing it was going to be the best I guess is what we do as parents.
I am laughing so hard at everything she ate and that she was on the move immediately. I guess you and Eric will be dining standing up:) with monkey girl climbing your legs:) LOL
I guess I would be worried too that she was already a fast mover....now I am not sure you will be able to keep up!!!
Glad she is on the mend and hope you are also!! it has been a tough couple of days.
hugs and love from TX
jules